Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Tragic Accident

Many have been asking me how Ollie died...I share this only to raise awareness and express my pain as a grieving mother.
*as you read please have a prayer in your heart..its very heavy.


March 24th 2012 began a little out of the normal when Olliehad woken up at 6:30am, he never did this. I cooked Chris and Ollie breakfastwhile Ollie sat on his daddy's lap for which we didnt know at the time would be his last. Chris fed him an omelet and fruit. Nothing special. I remember thinking how cute it wasto see the two of them adore each other and I was a proud wife and mom at thattender moment. Chris was then leaving for work and Ollie held onto him extralong and wouldn't let him go and when Chris tried to put him down he clung on like a little monkey. Did Ollie know what was coming? Do we know when we are going to die moments before? Of course Chrissaid now if he knew it was his last hug he would have stayed home from work andhugged him all day. Ollie then pushed his little red chair to the window towave to his daddy, Ollie couldn't see him in the car so Chris turned on thelight and waved. A wave he will never forget, the last tender wave goodbye. Ollie and I thenwent through-out our day like normal (looking back so many special thingshappened) I did notice something unusual, Ollie was being extra somber and quiet and laying on histummy in his  fuzzy bear pj's looking out the window and kicking his legs in theair. He did this for about 15 minutes. (I now believe he was watching the angels that would shortly be coming totake him home to Heavenly Father). I got him dressed in his long sleevedcamping shirt with his khaki pants and tiny white socks. We then went together to dosome laundry like normal. I always let him throw some clothes into the washer.(My first mistake) He loved helping mommy and it made both of us smile. We finished putting the sheets in and we bothleft the room. ( I later learned from the detective that there was one lone sock and  one rag mixed in with the sheets, Poor little boy was just trying to help me). I went to the living room about 15ft away to read an article onPoppy's development. I didn't hear Ollie for a minute and he always was rightnext to me, we were buddies all day long.  I called for  him. No answer. Silence. So I ran to the back door, didn'tsee him or hear him. Panic. I panic and feel anxiety as I type this. I instantly ran to the laundry room to see if he wastouching the cat litter box. No Ollie. Panic, fear and anxiety over took mybody thinking of where Ollie could be. Something told me to put my hands in thewashing machine, no way. I didnt want to. I wouldn't find him in there. I finally built up courage and  put my hands in the cold water....yuck. vomit. sick sick sick. I wanted to pass out. myheart instantly broke when I felt his precious precious body...words do not even describe thehorror, fear and helplessness I felt as I tried to pull my sweet Ollie'slifeless body out of the washing machine. He was stuck and not breathing. intense. so intense and like nothing I had ever experienced before. Ipropped his head up ever so gently so he wasn't under the water and I decided to run to myneighbors because I thought I could start CPR sooner if I could get him outrather than call 911. (My husband later told me in lifeguard training they say its very important to at least try to give a rescue breath) Who knows what was best but this is what I did. I ranshouting for help as loud as I could and my neighbor came running. She couldsee the panic in my face as we ran straight to the washing machine. We be bothtried to dislodge his tiny (but too big for a top loading  washing machine) body, it was so stuck wewere not even sure how he fit. I wont go into details but we managed to get himout and Tiffany and Bill started CPR. All of my other neighbors were there helping to calm me down. I am so thankful for them and theirwillingness to do everything in their power to save Ollie. The paramedics cameand worked on his precious body for abut 15 minutes and got a heart beat butnot life sustaining. All I wanted to do was hold his big boy fat finger hand so I bent down beside him while the medics were frantically working on him. I held it  tight and pleaded with him to come back and told him momma needed him and how sorry I was. 

Ollie was then transported to the hospital about 3 minutesaway. There the ER team put him on a ventilator and continued CPR for about 30minutes. This was so heart wrenching to watch my baby boy, the love of my life being worked on so vigorously while I stand back and watch.  I was so shaken up at this point and in severe shock. Chris arrivedand we both were hugging each other and sobbing in disbelief as we watchednurses and doctors try to save our son while feeling so so so helpless. Olliereceived a Priesthood blessing from our local missionaries (this is a miraclein it self) and then was transported to one of the best pediatric hospitals, Doernbeckers. Itook a ride I never wanted to take, in the ambulance. While looking back at my baby boyhooked up to to all those awful tubes while fighting for his life I prayed and asked God for a miracle. We arrivedat the hospital and the doctors were inserting a pic line so they asked to meetwith us in a private room. Basically its the room where they give people the worstnews of their lives. The Doctor told us Ollie was most likely not going to makeit...Chris and  I broke down into tears. We sobbed and sobbed for a few minutes uncontrollably.sad. sad. sad. worst news ever. She told us his brain was dead due to lack of oxygen and his body would shutdown completely after 3 days.

In those next 24 hours so many things happened but it mostlyconsisted of prayers, fasting, priesthood blessings and holding Ollie's hand.oh and lots of tears. and more prayers.  My parents and Chris' parents and Chris' brother caughtthe next flight out to Portland. I was so happy and relieved to see them allbut so sad because I knew how much they loved little Ollie. I didnt wantany of their hearts to break or hurt like mine was. We all knew Ollie could besaved by a miracle if it was Gods will. I knew Ollie was fighting between beingwith us here on earth and being with God in heaven. I never once left Ollies side and I wanted so badly to pick him up and for his spirit to re-enter his body. Why couldn't we receive a miracle? they happen all the time. We would all gather around Ollie and just sob and ask God to heal him, we knew He could.

The moment the clock hit 24 hours we said a prayer and knewit was time to take Ollie off life support. This moment was so hard because we knew if we didn't get a miracle now he would pass away. So many prayers had been given inOllie's behalf, if it was Gods will a miracle would happen. I knew thisthen and I know this now. It was not even a question to keep him on lifesupport while having 0% brain activity and no signs of improvement in 24 hours.The nurse slowly and gently unhooked Ollie from those nasty tubes holding himto the bed. She asked me if I would like to hold him. Of course I did. I wantedto hold him forever and tell him how sorry I was. I sobbed. and sobbed. My body was so worn out and so was his. We were all so exhausted. I sobbed some morewhile rocking my big baby boy one last time. Ollie's precious body became so heavy weall had to take turns, it was all physically and mentally exhausting. We allheld Ollie off and on for 6 agonizing but precious hours. Part of my heartwanted him to stay forever but part of me wanted him to just pass on toHeavenly Father because it was so painful to watch him struggle for everybreath. He took his last breath in my arms and his body became cold and hisspirit left completely and I knew he was with Heavenly Father, the father thatgave us all life. This moment I will never forget and cherish forever. My last moments with Ollie. I whispered into his ear "Ollie you run to me as fast as you can when I get to heaven" This breaks my heart to type this and I long for that special day.

One of the hardest but most tender moments was washing hisprecious body one last time. If you are ever faced with this I hope you takethe time to do this. We all took a wash cloth and said our good byes while we everso gently kissed every-single-part of his body. I needed enough kisses to lasta life time. It was a precious precious moment with my sons earthly body. Ilook forward to the day his body and spirit are reunited so he may fully liveagain. Life is all too precious and we must not take any second for granted.Make the best out of EVERY moment . Help, inspire and uplift someone daily. My sweet blue eyed baby boy Ollie I love you always.

36 comments:

  1. Tiff, I'm wrecked. Sobbing. This could have happened to A.N.Y.O.N.E. I have been much more negligent than this. Your courage in recollecting your sadness and horror and despair...is breathtaking. I for one cannot WAIT for the moment you have him back in your arms, and I am 100% positive, that he can't either. You inspire. You inspire. You inspire. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracie. You inspire me for saying I inspire you. Really. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hi, you don't even remotely know me, but I found your story from Lori via Instagram (hows that for news traveling!). I am absolutely sobbing right now for you and your sweet Ollie. You are so brave for getting your words out, and no doubt, this will help others. Not only for awareness, but for the precious gift our time on earth is. Your heart just pours love out, it's very inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing your story, I think you will always be in my thoughts and prayers. My kids will be getting lots of extra love now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chelsea. I'm glad you are aware and feel free to share my blog. It's great the word spreads fast especially on something tragic that may help others....thanks

      Delete
  3. Ohh Tiff, I sobbed hearing all the moments over again. I heard alot of this at the funeral and didn't think I could take the pain anymore. I am so so sorry you have to live through this pain day in and day out. My heart just aches and aches for you. I know you are a good mother maybe even close to perfect and definitely perfect for Ollie. I just can't stop the tears from coming when I think of the two of you reuniting again someday. Thank you for sharing your strength and for helping others to learn from you. Mostly what people are learning from you is your strenghth and perserverance because there are millions of ways our bodies can be harmed and accidents can happen, but only one way to leave this earth....when it is time to meet our creator. I too know that if it was Ollie's time he would have been saved. There is nothing you could have done better with him. You loved him perfectly and that is all you could have done. It is a shame the memories of how it happened have to haunt your thoughts, I am so sorry for that. I couldn't look up to to more. You are special Tiff, please remember that and know that Ollie chooses you again and again. Thank you for sharing your story you are so brave. I think and prayer for you all the time. I love you and your example of strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocelyn. You make me sound so wonderful! Thanks. I don't feel that way. Love you lots too!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness. Thank you for sharing this! You are an amazing mother. He was so loved! I know he's watching down on you all. How great you get to see him again!! God bless. I'm so glad poppy is here to keep you company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey! We are so glad Poppy is here too. We love her! Thanks for reading my blog

      Delete
  5. You don't know me but I often follow the news of your sweet Ollie and Poppy. My heart is breaking reading ever detail- I am just sitting here bawling. I too know the joy it brings to have your children help with laundry- a household chore to do together! Thank you do much for honoring sweet Ollies life and getting the word out- I never thought about a child drowning In a washer before. Every time I do a load of laundry I think about Ollie. Thank you so much for being so strong and writing this. You seem like such an amazing mother and I am so sorry you had to go through such pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jordyn,
      I am so glad I am able to make so many aware of this danger in the home...thank you for reading my blog.

      Delete
  6. I love you guys! thank you for sharing your story to help others. You are such an inspiration! You are always in my thoughts and prayers, as is sweet little Ollie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard this story many times but reading Tiffany's version is just like reliving it. How all our hearts broke that day. But I cannot imagine how Ollie's parents must feel. Hearts literally broken into a million pieces.I feel a part of it because Ollie is my 1st grandchild & I love him more than words can describe. I love my precious daughter & son in law. They are amazing parents & Ollie & Poppy are lucky. Tiffany, you are the best mother I know. You are kind, loving, attentive, patient, & gentle. Keep being brave. Kisses~
    mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're my mom that's why I'm amazing and inspiring. Love you more momma!!!

      Delete
  8. You are so strong. Thanks so much for sharing your story. I cant keep it together reading this. Much love your way. I know Olie will run to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOu don't know me,but I heard of your story on the news and followed a link from facebook to get to this blog. Your story is So heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing your story and for the strength that it took to put this in writing. I know that it will make me hold my little ones a little tighter tonight. May the Lord be with you and your family during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haley thank you for stopping by to read my blog and be aware of the dangers. Pass it on. God bless you too

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for your words. I will always remember, we are sending prayers your way! How comforting to know he is with our Heavenly Father so happy. Sending lots of love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. On day in Relief Society we were asked what we would ask Christ when we got to heaven. I thought of all the questions I've saved up throughout the years and none seemed very interesting. Then I began to cry, sobb, weep. I saw myself being held in His arms feeling love, comfort, and acceptance, then just as quickly as He took me in his arms, I pull away and ask, "Where's Emma? Can I see her now?" I miss my daughter SO MUCH! Thank you for reminding me how precious our children are. Its been over 4 years since I buried her. Most days are fine, I've learned to live my new life and even be happy. But some days I grieve likes its new and fresh. You seem like the kind of person who servives and makes things better. I don't want to make any predictions about your future, "you will...." or give any trite remarks about loss and grief. But as one mother to another who undertands loss and grief, it is OK to be happy. Our children want us to be happy. They are in our hearts is not just a cliche, it it true. You can talk to him anytime anywhere that you need I have even told Emma to come entertain her sister while I cook, and in no time sister stops crying. I know my daughter has a work to do and I also know she honors her mother and comes to me when I need her. I have no doubt Ollie is equally as loving and loyal and compassionate toward you and your family. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about your sweet Emma. As I say sorry to you I feel in my heart it actually is not a sad thing for our children. They are blessed and safe and in the highest kingdom. I believe this to be true. We are the ones sad. Thank you for reading my story. May God always bless your life

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing your story. It's a beautiful, heartbreaking story that completely grabbed my heart. What special little boy. What a very loving mom you are. Because I know your family, I know how loved Ollie is, by so many people. It isn't easy to open up your heart and share it with the world, but I'm sure others will be blessed by hearing your story. I'm sharing this on my blog to help spread the word about washing machine safety.
    Lots of love, prayers and support for you, Chris and gorgeous, happy little Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June thank you for sharing this on your blog to make others aware. Thank you for the prayers!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing your story of your sweet boy. My heart is broken for you. I hope you are finding the peace you need,you are in my prayers. Thanks for sharing the little things about your days with Ollie, unfortunatly I feel I have been taking mine for granted. Please know your story has touched me deeply and I sincerely hope asll the best for you and your family. I know families are forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing your heartbreaking story, it reminded me to hug and kiss my children every time like it could be the last. I have all girls and I have had a few close calls with each of them. Because I am the mother and I am the one who watches them it seems most things happen under my care. However, I have had a few experiences that have taught me that if it is not their time to go, or if it is not a trial that they should go through, then miracles occur that save or protects them. I had an experience where communication seemed to cease during a particular accident and the moment after it occured, the heavens opened again to guide and direct me as to what I should do. I knew the Holy Ghost could have warned me but no warning was given because it was a trial that we were meant to pass through but the Spirit was definitely there to help me through what followed afterward. I hope that you will never feel that this is your fault or that there was something you could have done. I have gone over the accidents my children have been through and played them over and over again wishing or wondering if I could have changed something that could have prevented things but the reality is that as mothers, we cannot be in all places at all times and I believe that we have many unseen hands that assist us throughout our day but they are not to interfere when the plan is not to save or protect. I read a quote somewhere that heaven always takes it's favorites early. I am sure Ollie is a favorite! May the balm of Gilead continue to soothe your spirit as you continue to be grateful for all the many wonderful things that Ollie brought into your life. Families are forever. Whenever you feel that tug in your heart, just remember it's your Ollie tugging on that invisible string that ties you together to remind you how much he loves you and that he is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know I said this in my email but I want to repeat it. To all those who knew you, who saw you interact with and care for Ollie, it was apparent that he was precious, he was beloved, and he was cherished. You are a remarkable mother. You are an extraordinary mother. Just as your life is blessed by your children, their lives are blessed by having you as their mother. You are the kind of mom the rest of us wish we could be (especially me).

    I feel like a fairly intelligent and safety conscious parent. All of our electrical outlets have covers, I cut grapes in half, we always use car seats, and I stay right next to them while they’re in the bathtub, but I never even considered the washing machine hazardous. I would often leave the lid open while I was soaking clothes, not once thinking of the possible danger. Because of your tragedy, I know better now.

    With how careful and vigilant you were with Ollie it seems nearly impossible to me that something this dreadful could have happened. I can only conclude that his passing so early from this life must have been part of a larger plan. Living without Ollie must be the most difficult experience imaginable. I know that he is watching over you, just as God is. One day you will have him in your arms again.

    Love you,
    Mindy

    “The darker the night, the brighter the stars,
    The deeper the grief, the closer is God!”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy,
      Thank you so much for your sweet and kind words. I really appreciate you sharing about you leaving your washer lid open because you never considered it a danger...thank you. It helps to hear that I am normal and a good mother too. :)
      Your words are encouraging.Yes losing him is impossible to handle alone, Im thankful for the savior! and I long for the day he is in my arms, it cant come soon enough
      Tiff

      Delete
  16. A friend shared your story with me on FB and I can’t help but leave you a comment. This could have been my son. We frequently do laundry together and he loves to pull his little sock monkey step over while I’m throwing things in. He also loves to drive his cars on the door to our drier just to hear the echoing sound it makes when empty. Out of all my fears as a mother a washing machine was never one of them! I’ve lost sleep worrying about car accidents or choking hazards but NEVER a washing machine. Thank you for potentially saving my son’s life. Your sweet son has a special place in my heart. May the Lord hold your family in His gracious hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trai, thank you for your comments, I am so happy I was able to make you aware of this danger, I sure wish someone had told me :(
      xoxo
      Tiffany

      Delete
  17. Tiffany,

    I dont know where to even start and feel almost inadequate to leave you any words but I have to say what an example you are to every mother. You are so strong. I have a little boy very close to Ollies age and I cant even begin to comprehend how you felt that day and feel now. I had an especially difficult day with my stubborn two year old and reading your story humbled me so much. I knew your story (from my best friend Heather Allred and your brother Cody) but there was a reason I came to your blog today. I dont know you but I know for a fact you are one amazing mother and daughter of God. Im crying just typing this wishing there was something I, a complete stranger, could say to take a little pain away. If this is any consolation, thank you for all you do.

    Kelly (Mullinax) Bentley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly
      I am so happy to hear my blog and story has helped you out in your own life. Thats what life is about to help us all be better! Thanks for commenting xoxo

      Delete
  18. This story is so incredibly sad and heartbreaking yet mixed with so much courage. Thank you for being brave enough to share this story. (we don't know each other but I found your story through Bronson and Weslie) I have two little girls and I can't imagine the strength it takes to continue on. I actually truly believes it takes an angel on the other side to get us through. Your sweet son is with you now more than ever. He is bonded to your heart and attached to your soul. The day will come when you get to be with him for eternity and what an amazing that day will be. Thank you for your courage and for being able to remind others (especially me) that life is too precious to be mad or let it pass us by. Lots and lots of prayers your way!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This story is so incredibly sad and heartbreaking yet mixed with so much courage. Thank you for being brave enough to share this story. (we don't know each other but I found your story through Bronson and Weslie) I have two little girls and I can't imagine the strength it takes to continue on. I actually truly believes it takes an angel on the other side to get us through. Your sweet son is with you now more than ever. He is bonded to your heart and attached to your soul. The day will come when you get to be with him for eternity and what an amazing that day will be. Thank you for your courage and for being able to remind others (especially me) that life is too precious to be mad or let it pass us by. Lots and lots of prayers your way!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am sitting here - a wreck. I found your blog by the most unusual way ... I follow people water, saw a pic your brother posted with Ollie, clicked your Instagram and came here.

    I am from Vancouver Canada and lost my daughter, shalom, in very different circumstances ... But her birthday was this past Monday and the loss of a child is always so great.

    I just wanted to stop and encourage u during this Christmas season ... And know that your son is rejoicing in Heaven in full perfection. I believe my little girl is dancing with the angels and I know that God will unite us one day ... So be blessed and be encouraged. And know that your story is not in vain because of your strength to share it. Be brave and be bold ... You are a wonderful, Godly mother. Xx

    Http://www.homemakingirl.blogspot.com [ if you're interested, my story is posted in the "shalom" file on the right side of my blog ...

    - Tania aka "Tawn"

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sitting here - a wreck. I found your blog by the most unusual way ... I follow people water, saw a pic your brother posted with Ollie, clicked your Instagram and came here.

    I am from Vancouver Canada and lost my daughter, shalom, in very different circumstances ... But her birthday was this past Monday and the loss of a child is always so great.

    I just wanted to stop and encourage u during this Christmas season ... And know that your son is rejoicing in Heaven in full perfection. I believe my little girl is dancing with the angels and I know that God will unite us one day ... So be blessed and be encouraged. And know that your story is not in vain because of your strength to share it. Be brave and be bold ... You are a wonderful, Godly mother. Xx

    Http://www.homemakingirl.blogspot.com [ if you're interested, my story is posted in the "shalom" file on the right side of my blog ...

    - Tania aka "Tawn"

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tiff,
    I don't know if you will remember me, I think I met you once. I used to work with Chris at All Resort. I had no idea that you had lost your son. I also have a son, he just turned two. I can't even express how sorry I am for your loss. I can't imagine the feeling, or the strength it would take to carry on as well as you have. I hope that you continue to pursue the label warning on washing machines, it is important work that needs to be done. I wish I could give you a great big hug right now. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You don't know me, but I thank you so much for sharing your story... my son is almost a month old, and I hadn't even really thought about the possibility of something like this happening before... this has me absolutely sobbing, I had to stop at one point because I was crying so hard and my heart hurt so badly I thought I may be sick... I will definately be looking for ways of making this less of a risk in my home... reading your story has broken my heart but it also may have saved my sons life for all I know... you seem like such an amazing woman and mother, I can't express how sorry I am that you've had to endure this... but again, thank you for sharing, and getting the word out so lesser woman like myself can get the kick they need to make their homes safer places... this story will save lives.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You don't know me. I saw a comment you made on Hilary Cheney's FB and went to your blog to see what had happened to your precious Ollie. I am sobbing now after reading your description of that terrible day. I am so very sorry for your family. My little brother drowned at age 4 so I understand a lot of what you're feeling. My mother never forgave herself and still cries over my brother today at age 82. I was Carson's preschool teacher and loved that little boy like crazy. Please accept my sincere sympathy on the loss of your beautiful son.

    ReplyDelete