Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Oh So Long, But Oh So Short

Coming up the end of this week, it will mark a year since my sweet Ollie Kai Hebb left this earthly experience and went to be with his father in heaven-the father who gave him life.
March 23rd was the accident and the 24th he died. cold. cold. cold day that was. my heart was broken. shattered. torn and crushed. the phone call I never wanted to make.

I text Chris:
OLLIE IS DEAD....
 911
COME HOME NOW..



what a scary text. what a scary day. such awful and extreme feelings.

Really? I had to text this to Ollies sweet daddy who was so excited to experience the joys of being a daddy and also to watch his son have a daddy. Our son really died? Just no words for the feelings that day.

We really had to call Ollies Grandparents who adored him and just-couldn't-get-enough of him and tell them their worst nightmare had come true....that their grandson Ollie, was dead. Seriously? This is the worst phone call you could possible make or receive. I cant imagine their pain at that moment or their thoughts, but I do know it was similar to mine and oh so intense. crippling. devastating. unbearable. unreal and unwanted. these words do not even describe the intensity of it.

Im so so sorry I had to be the bearer of bad news. Im sorry I couldn't save sweet Ollie, Im sorry mom for breaking your heart, Im sorry Sandy for making you pass out in nordstom, Im sorry dad for crushing your dreams of Ollie becoming a great fisherman-he is now a fisher of man in heaven. Im sorry Chris for destroying your dreams of teaching Ollie to swim and be by your side all the days of his life. Im just sorry that day ever happened..... 


 Where has the year gone? 

It seems as if it was just yesterday I was on the floor playing with him in the kitchen for 3 days straight while he was learning to go potty, he was such a big boy already.  I remember taking a bath with him and admiring his tender giggles as he splashed me with water, we sat in the tub for an hour sometimes. I remember him picking berries ever so carefully with his tiny fingers and teaching him about the thorns, he thoughtfully picked the ripe ones. I remember him look at the moon pointing  and say, "luna-spanish for moon." I remember just like yesterday, getting him dressed every morning and his tender face looking at his momma with love. I knew he adored me just like I adored him. Our love was so deep and special. I was so excited to be his momma. I was excited to show me sweet baby boy the world and the beauties I enjoyed. Ollie and I went everywhere together. He was my little buddy. Chris was traveling a lot so Ollie and I spent a lot of precious precious time together with just the two of us. When we moved to Oregon we stayed in a lot while it was raining, we didnt even get dressed sometimes, we just played all day long. I never got sick of him. He was a tender and gentle little boy.

My sweet Ollie was:
Too Pure, Too Lovely, To Live On Earth. (Not fair to have such a perfect child that they cant be here, I sometimes don't want a perfect child for my selfish reasons. I know he is happy and enjoying himself though)

As I think about these memories of Ollie, it seems as if it was just yesterday, but also it seems as if it was a million years ago that I held him and kissed him. Oh how I miss him. I never, ever knew the deep love between a mother and a son until having a child. It is unlike anything I have ever experienced. I love being a mother! My love is so deep and never ending for my Ollie (and my Poppy) that my grief is oh so deep. My grief connects me to Ollie. It hurts oh so bad so often, but it makes me know my love was as deep as the grief.  

Without the love there would be no grief.  


As you watch this video, notice how happy all of us were. 
As we watched it just now while uploading it, we sat and sobbed....
such extreme feelings, such polar opposites.


A few of Chris' favorite memories of his son:
*When Chris would get home from work, he would sit on the floor to play with Ollie. Ollie would turn himself around and back up into Chris and sit his bum on his daddy's lap.

 *Ollie would look out the front window around the time Chris got off work, as soon as he would see the jeep, Ollie would run as fast as he could to the back door yelling and screamung with excitiement. When he got to the back door I would help him get his red chair and push it up to the window so he could see Chris. Ollie would get so happy and grin from ear to ear waiting with anticiaption until CHris came through the door. Ollie loved when daddy came home. It was actually the highlight of my day. and theirs too of course.

*Chris would go out back and chop wood-which I hear him doing as I sit here and type-and Ollie absolutely loved to help. As Chris would chop the wood into smaller pieces Ollie would pick a piece up that was almost as big as him, and bring it to me to put in the house. He was so cute. He could barely carry it but he didn't give up until he reached me. He was our little helper with everything. (It makes me sad, he died doing what he loved, helping.)


**********************************************


Today there is blue sky and sun. I feel ok today. I have cried so much in the last few days I am not sure I have tears left. 

****Yesterday I didnt a follow-up interview with Koin News, I will post a link to watch it later. If you are local to Oregon it will be on channel 6 @ 11pm Friday night.

24 comments:

  1. I'm at work balling over this....You shouldn't say sorry to anyone!! We should be thanking you for bringing such a wonderful, sweet, gentle human into this world. Even if he wasn't here for long, it was a blessing just being a part of his life even for a moment! Ollie is so very lucky to have a mother and father you love him as much as you both do! He was able to do so many things... because he had such great parents! Ollie would also want you to keep doing these fun things with Poppy too:) She is also very lucky to have you both!
    I loved watching to video of Ollie it made me happy and sad at the same time. I am grateful for the memories I have with him! Ollie would be so proud of his mommy and daddy! They are doing great things to help save others lives!! I want to help you more with getting stickers on the washing machines! Thanks for being so strong and for sharing your memories... i love hearing them! I'm so sorry you had to go through this and that you have to deal with the grief. I hope you find comfort this week... I love you all and think about you all the time! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany-
    I don't know you, but I have followed your story. Every night I pray for you and your sweet family. I am so sorry that your sweet little boy went to heaven. It broke my heart that you think it is your fault. I started sobbing as you apologized to everyone. I don't understand why heavenly father let him go in such a cruel way. I am sure you don't either. My sweet boy is 16 months old. He is in desperate need of a kidney transplant. While I know it is not my fault that he is so sick, I still feel intense amounts of guilt and grief. It sucks. My heart hurts so bad all of the time, but my son is still here. I am sorry that yours isn't. I have been praying for your family as the year angel-versary of your son comes up. I will continue to pray that you will be able to find peace.
    Love,
    Krista Burgoyne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the video -- even though it's so very sad that he's not here now, seeing such a cute and funny moment in your lives made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the video -- even though it's so very sad that he's not here, seeing such a cute and funny moment in your lives made me smile! And please do share the link to your interview when you have it -- I'd like to see it. I pray that you'll feel the Lord's comfort and peace more than ever this weekend and forward...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stumbled across your blog. Such a horrible experience, I cannot begin to imagine, but WOW how amazing what you're doing because of this! You are amazing. You are so strong. You are a role model to women. So much joy and love sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you Chris and Tiff. What great strength to endure such a sad and horrible thing yet stil have the power and love to share your love with others. We are thinking of you so much this week and our hearts, thoughts, and prayers are with you. Much love to our wonderful friends Chris and Tiff. May God carry you through this week with love and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had something brilliant to say right now, to ease your pain, to make Ollie appear, to make everything ok. I'm just so sorry, I'm so sad for You and Chris and Poppy. I laughed and cried at this post. I cried that you don't have that sweet boy with you right now. I laughed at his amazing dancing skills, they are truly really talented and hilarious! I was laughing so hard at this sweet little boy and so sad at the same time because in that moment of watching the video, you feel like he is right here with us, there is no way he isn't here, that sweet little soul, the energy and love you feel from him, it must still exist. Then you realize, it doesn't exist in the way we understand in this world, we can't hear his laugh, or see him dance, but it still carries on somewhere and it obviously carries on in our hearts. It carries on in my heart, that's for sure, he changed my life and so did you Tiffany. You are an incredible woman and if I had one wish in the world, it would be that you never went through this, losing that sweet boy. You are an amazing and strong woman but I wish this didn't happen to you. Ollie was Too Pure, Too Lovely, To Live on this Earth and you are a woman, Too Pure, Too Lovely, to have this happen too you, but it did and I'm sorry. You are a beautiful, shining example of what true love and heartache is, as if something so hard can be beautiful or shining, but you are. I somehow came across this blog, and it has touched my heart and soul in a way that I didn't know it could be touched. My heart aches for you and I am forever sending my love your way. I will always carry a piece of Ollie, Poppy. Chris and Tiffany in my heart. ALWAYS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh beautiful girl, I am so, so sorry. Ollie is so precious and perfect, so loved and so MISSED. My love and prayers as you get close to this anniversary (suck-iversary) Love, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to leave you a comment even though you dont know me. (I found you through Ashley Sullengers blog). I read your entire blog in these last few days and wow I cant even imagine the pain and feelings you are continuing to go through. You are an amazing momma and I am so glad I came across your blog. My heart aches for you. I hope you find comfort over this coming weekend and from now on. I find myself with a deep love for all these moms who have lost a precious child. Ollie is THE cutest little blue eyed boy! What a little angel. I know he is watching over you everyday! Sending all my thoughts and love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtney,
      When I read that someone who doesnt even know me is thinking of me, its so humbling. It makes me feel like I can go on. I feel the love. Thank you thank you.

      Delete
  10. Heart is breaking, sweet Friend. This has been an especially difficult week for me, too. :(

    I loved seeing a video of Ollie - it is the first time I've seen a video of him. So sweet. He is so beautiful.

    I hate this all. I hate all of it.

    And, like Samantha said -don't ever apologize. I often feel tempted to do the same thing, but I have to keep myself in check.

    You will be heavy on my heart tomorrow this weekend. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you my sweet friend. Hope your day is ok today.

      Yes I have to remember to not apologize. I just feel so bad that I had to share the horrible news with the ones I love. I knew it would break their hearts instantly.

      xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  11. I agree..you shouldn't say sorry, because you obviously love that little boy with all you have. I don't know you personally, but I have followed your blog for a while now, and have fallen in love with sweet Ollie. (Poppy too of course!) and I feel for you and your husband, your life was turned upside down..its crazy how much love can be put into such a little human being...I think of you all often..prayers sent your way <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany,
      So humbling to think you are sending prayers and you dont even know me...I guess you do a little from my blog :)

      Thank you. WE are being carried by the prayers.
      xo

      Delete
  12. I came across your blog through my friend Ashley Sullenger, and I couldn't help but write you! I have a little boy of my own (first and only child so far) he is almost 15 months old. This is my worst fear....I honestly cannot even imagine what you go through. I'm so impressed with you and the way you express your feelings and the way you push forward each and every day. Its hard to think about, but it gives me strength to see that you can push through. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my worst fear came true. Its awful to experience and live through your worst fear. Im afraid of nothing now...Thank you for writing to me. I feel your love!
      xo

      Delete
  13. Tiffany, honey...this post is precious. I am so sorry you are without your sweet Ollie...as we are without our sweet Vienne. One year. How I dread approaching that date for us next September. And yet, time keeps moving forward and with God's help, so do we. One day closer to Heaven...to being with our sweet babes once again.
    I am blessed to know you - to have you and my precious daughter (VN's mama) becoming acquainted, two grieving Mama's sharing a journey no two young women should have to share. You are loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,
      Great seeing you last night. I wanted to give you a hug but Poppy wasnt happy...

      Im sorry too you are without Vienne. She is and was such a cutie, her voice...the cutest!

      Yes one day closer to heaven. I love thinking that!Love to you this day. and strength.
      Love you Viennes Grammy

      Delete
  14. You are so wonderful Tiffany. I love that you can say just how you feel. Helps me so much to be able to read the things you write. It is so hard to have a child in heaven but you are doing a wonderful job of staying positive and trying to make the best of what you have here. I love hearing about you and Chris' memories of Ollie. He sounds like he was such a joy. I am so thankful we have the knowlege that we get to see them again. Doesn't make this life any easier, but at least we have something to look forward to.

    I love you and think about you always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ollie is so, so very adorable, wonderful, and perfect in every way. How sorry I am that you can't have that carefree happiness back, that you can't live in a world that still has Ollie in it.

    All my love and prayers at this difficult anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your story. I am so so sorry you lost your poor sweet baby and will be praying for you this week. I am a mom of three small kids, 4th on the way. I honestly, before reading your story, would have never thought about something like this happening. But now, a couple days after first reading Ollie's story I can't believe it doesn't happen more often. I can totally see my 2 year old scampering to the top of the dryer, opening the washer, and accidentally falling in. Seems like there should have been a label on them long ago. I hope your efforts are rewarded! I am really glad we replaced out top loader recently as otherwise I think I would worry about this fairly often. Again I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Tiff...My heart broke for you reading this. Your text to Chris, your reality...heart wrenching. Never apologize. You write from a raw and REAL place. It is good for your readers who are grieving and it is good for your readers who need to be pointed towards their families. Never ever apologize. You are a light to me and so many others. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family this week and always my friend. Hold on..one moment at a time. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. As your mom, I can't help but add my thoughts to this post. I want to just copy & paste all the things said from others. Don't you ever apologize to anyone again!!!!!! please!!! This week is a suckiversary! It's also an angelversary! It's bitter & its sweet & it's horrible & I HATE HATE HATE that my precious daughter (& husband) have to go through this. I HATE that others have experienced the same thing. I hate that mothers have to live without their children. I don't know if I could. I'm not that strong. But I raised one tough mama! & I love her to pieces. I hate that hearts brake. I hate not squeezing & giving lipstick kisses to my first grandchild! I hate Ollie being in heaven. BUT....WHY???.....then I think that God has a plan. It's not what I had in mind & it sure as heck wasn't what I had planned for my child. But maybe, just maybe, with the smallest teeny tiny speck of hope, that it is what is best. I can't believe those words just came out! best? how can a mother being without her child be best??? But, what if all those wonderful things we've been taught about heaven are true??? What if our Heavenly Father really does know what's best for us? What if this just teaches us to be better & stronger? What if it teaches us to love more? what if we share our lessons with others? what if we share more LOVE with others??? Maybe our angels are accomplishing so much. maybe they send more & more love into our hearts everyday that wouldn't be there unless they sent it to us from heaven. maybe because they are in Heaven, we are better, kinder, & less-judgemental. I love my Ollie & I KNOW I will see him again. I know his sweet, dancing, fun, happy, little spirit is alive. Ollie, you keep sending love to my heart because your grandma needs it so much. Kisses to my Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  19. as i read all of you post i was thinking of what to say then i read all the comments and well its all been said. one thing is for sure is that you DON'T NEED TO BE SORRY . im sure your sorrow consumes you and you just want everyone to hear it. you are so sweet and i hope you dont get tired of hearing. lol. also i could only imagine the tears you have cried the past year let alone the past few days. you may have to continue your journey without Ollies body but for sure you and Chris both have his spirit to be with you. what comfort it must bring to know and feel the love of Ollie, Christ and all those who love and support you. i pray for you as you feel this love that it will help you continue and have more HAPPY days. you more than deserve them. i love what your mom said and she is so right. josh gave me you phone number and i programmed it in my phone right then and there so i hope you dont mind. i have been scared to call cause im not sure what i would say and i just might break down in tears just hearing your voice from being so sad for you. im so sorry im not stronger but i am so tender hearted most days. i too have my own "suckiversary" that i am trying to over come. so sorry about my lack of strength ;) are you and Chris coming to Utah anytime soon? if so i would love to meet up and visit. i love you and pray that you will feel more peace and comfort over the next couple of days!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete